Thursday, May 5, 2011

OC Half Marathon

I just want to start by thanking my friends and family for the support for this race. I trained so much better this time around and the best part, I was not injured. Here is my official result:


Half Marathon
Runner DetailsRace Results
Bib:5200
Name:Rithy Vu
Gender:M
Age:30
Hometown:La Mirada, CA
Overall:3961 out of 6561
Men:1923 out of 2587
M 30-34:329 out of 411
Age/Grade:40.68% Place: 5113
Finish:2:25:35 Pace: 11:07
Tag Time:2:25:35
Gun Time:2:44:09
Split Times
5 Km:32:36 Pace: 10:30
10 Mi:Pace:
11 mi:2:00:26 Pace: 10:57


I wanted to hit sub 2hr so bad for this one but with the training I've done, I realized that a 11-12' pace through out would be safe and still better than what I did last year finishing close to 3 hours. 


This course was considered "down hill" from what people were telling me. So it mentally made me feel at ease. 


I felt pretty good through out the whole race and I took more gel packs than I normally would. I took them every 30 minutes instead of 45. It made a huge difference. I also used a spibelt to carry my gel packs and it worked out real great. 


I also hydrated this time around early in the morning by drinking a whole bottle of Gatorade so I had to go potty just before the race. 


I slowed down at water stations and drank a sip and poured water on myself with the rest. I'm happy I did not come to a walk at all for this race. 




Here are pictures of the race


me!
Yong


Shawn

to the finish!

to the finish!

to the finish!

sliding across the finish line


wife took these and cheer me on

to the last corner turn

wife and sister cheered me on at the end and greeted me. by the end of the race, I just had to go potty so bad. afterwards I took everything off. I felt nausea bothering me but after some stretches and a little food, it went away. I met up with my friends and it was awesome!

my friends are all winners!

love ♥

green flip flops

wonderful wife

they were taking pictures and putting them on t-shirts for free

cheese!

victory pose

So basically I beat my official personal record by 30 minutes and I beat my unofficial by 30 seconds. I know I can do much better than this. After the race, is stayed behind to get a t-shirt with a picture of myself on it. It was free so worth the wait. While waiting I mingled with other marathoners.

I got tips from them on how to train and what to eat. Basically if you want to be faster, work on hills.

New training regimen:

Monday: stretch / cross
Tuesday: 3-5 miles regular hill run
Wednesday: regular light run / cross
Thursday: hill repeats or 400/800 repeats
Friday: stretch/cross
Saturday: long runs with hills
Sunday: stretch/cross

Basically lots of hills is what it takes to get faster. Eating right is another key factor as well.

The other thing in common with several marathoners is that they said a great 5K time will lead to a great marathon time. My goal now is a 25 min 5K and a 50 min 10K. Basically I want to be able to run 8 min miles easy.

The next 5K will be in the morning of July 4 in La Palma.
http://www.cityoflapalma.org/index.aspx?nid=339

I've challenged some co-workers to join me in this event. Should be great fun!


The other good news is I've sent my shoes in for warranty service after 391 miles of use here are the pics




Back in July of 2010, I bought these shoes with extended warranty. http://baboo128.blogspot.com/2010/07/new-shoes.html

Now to figure out which new pair to get. New Brooks looks weird but has cool new features but I think I want to try out Asics.

Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment